A Bunch of Berries

A Bunch of Berries

Saturday, August 18, 2012

10th Anniversary

Craig and I celebrated our 10th Wedding Anniversary on July 20th. It is hard to imagine that it has been ten years already. We have had some tough times over the years adjusting to our different personalities but our relationship is comforting. I chose the word comforting because Craig truly is my best friend. I love spending time with him. We laugh a lot and enjoy talking about our future. Things will never be perfect between us because we still argue and disagree. However, I feel COMFORTED spending my future with him because I know it will be fun and exciting. I love how he completes me and gives me peace when I am stressed. The sound of his voice makes me feel better before he even says much.
Well enough of the gushy stuff....LOL!!! Craig if you are reading this, I love you and thank you for 10 wonderful years.
Craig and I always said we would celebrate our tenth year on a cruise. We have never taken one before and that was our dream. Unfortunately, our little guy Jensen has been attached to say the least to Craig and I and familiarity. Since we have not been able to successfully leave him even in the church nursery without a meltdown, we knew that a cruise was out of the question. He will stay with my parents for a night but not for a long trip. My parents were so thoughtful to treat us to a few days at the beach as an anniversary present. The other two kids were visiting Craig's dad and step-mom so we took them up on the offer. Thank you Mom and Dad for being thoughtful and letting us enjoy the beach with you for a few days. We really appreciate it!!!!
I must say it was much easier traveling and getting ready to play on the beach with just one kid. Either way, we managed to pack a wagon full.
Jensen really enjoyed the ride. Craig did you? HeHe!!!
One special moment for me was when Jensen and I were sitting together on the beach. He was having fun chasing the waves and throwing sand. Yes, he loved throwing sand :) I sat down for a few minutes to relax. It wasn't too long before Jensen sat down with me. He is my special buddy and he sat with me for probably 30 minutes. I later found out that Craig took pictures. I love Craig for knowing that pictures and memories are important to me and he captured a special one for me without even being asked. What a great guy :) I think I will keep both Craig and Jensen around!

Another special moment for me was going with Craig to the beach each night after Jensen went to bed. One night we rode bikes down there. It was not as easy as we thought to get the bikes out on the sand. Good thing there was not many people out there because I looked pretty silly trying to ride the bike. We took a blanket and laid down and looked at the stars. This is something I have wanted to do for many years and we never seem to slow down on vacations and take the time to do this. It was very special to enjoy that time with my husband. It was romantic. I love the sound of the ocean and it is much more peaceful at night when no one else is really around. Except when families came out looking for shells with flashlights. Seriously stop flashing that light on me. LOL! Remember that Craig? I know you didn't forget!!!
One day when all 5 of us (Craig, Me, Jensen, Mom and Dad) were out on the beach, it became very windy. I was holding on to one of our umbrellas and my Dad was holding the other one because of the wind. All of a sudden, mine started to fly away. I caught it but not after it slammed into my Mom slightly. It was a little stressful at the time, but now it is funny to look back at laugh at. Right Mom? Ha!
Before we headed out of town, we took Jensen and went to the local aquarium. I wanted to go because they had a new exhibit about penguins. I think are so cute and fascinating. The penguins were molting (shedding old feathers and growing new) at the time so they did not do very much. They are so cute either way.
Jensen enjoyed the penguins.
Jensen enjoys looking at our fish tank which only has one little fish. HeHe! So I was not surprised that he was excited at the really big tank with lots of fish and sharks.
Jensen at times was more interested in what the people around him were doing. I don't know why he sat down.
Mom and Dad: "Jensen, look a shark!" Jensen: "Did I miss something?" LOL!
Mom and Dad: "Jensen, another shark!" Jensen:" Hey you have overalls like me."

I don't know if Jensen ever actually saw a shark. HaHa!

I was really impressed with this cool penguin sand castle:
Craig and I did actually get to celebrate our anniversary a few more times once we were back to Fuquay. One of our favorite restaurants is Carrabas. Over Christmas, I purchased their first ever cookbook. I was so excited to try some of their recipes at home because I have loved cooking more and more. Yet, I never got around to any of the recipes. I guess I am a little busy. LOL! So I figured it would be nice to make a meal for Craig for our tenth anniversary. I really enjoy cooking and trying new things but I am not very organized in the kitchen. We waited till the kids were in bed and I began cooking. I originally wanted to make it all by myself as a present to Craig but he ended up having to help me. Otherwise, I think we would have been eating at 11pm. Ha! It was chaotic in the kitchen. I wanted to give up a few times. I understand now why Carrabas charges a decent amount for their food. They use high quality ingredients (some of which I could not even find in the store) and there are many steps to their dishes. We made Polla Rosa Maria which is our favorite chicken dish at the restaurant. We also made green beans, roasted garlic mashed potatoes and even their herb seasoning dip with olive oil. Here is the aftermath of this cooking session. Good thing we did not have company over.
That is just part of the kitchen. Here is the result of the mess though:
The dish was right on target with what Carrabas food tastes like. It was awesome and we loved every bite. At that point it did feel like it was worth all the work. We did not start eating till 9:30. The house was quiet and every bite was delectable if I must so say myself. After dinner, Craig went to rest on the couch and ended up falling asleep. I think I did my job of a full and happy belly for my husband that put him to sleep. Now off to the dishes. UGGH!!! He did end up helping me with the dishes :)
The next night on our actual anniversary, we went to another of our favorite restaurants The Melting Pot.

We enjoyed the whole week very much. Even though it was not our cruise, it was still a week full of memories!
I love you Craig Nolan Berry.










No comments:

Post a Comment